Warning of poisonous Turkish rhododendron honey

The Hessian Ministry of Consumer is currently warning of the consumption of rhododendron honey from Turkey. Consuming honey can lead to severe poisoning.

(17.09.2010) The Hessian Ministry of Consumer Protection is currently warning of the consumption of Turkish rhododendron honey. Toxic plant substances were found in a laboratory sample, which can lead to severe symptoms of intoxication in humans such as abdominal pain, gastrointestinal complaints, dizziness, skin irritation such as itching and reddening and increased salivation. The poisonous plant substances would be contained in the flowers, leaves and pollen of the rhododendron plant. The toxic substances got into the honey from insects such as bees. Most of the honey is sold in Turkish grocery stores. The honey comes from the Turkish Black Sea coast.

A doctor from Hesse alarmed the health authorities after numerous patients with similar symptoms of poisoning went to his practice. The patients had all previously eaten the honey. The toxic plant substance grayanotoxin was detected in later laboratory tests by the Hessian state laboratory. According to the Federal Institute for Risk Research, a small amount (5 grams) is sufficient to cause health problems in humans. For this reason, consumers should no longer eat the honey and dispose of it in the trash. With a higher amount of the toxic phytochemicals, immunologically weakened patients can experience far worse symptoms. (sb)

Also read:
Consumer protection warns of the honey variety

Image: Sascha Arnold / pixelio.de

Author and source information

Video: Hriselna huang. COVID 19 chungchang

Previous Article

No naturopathy without naturopath

Next Article

Novel gastric pacemaker implanted for the first time